Iowa Martins in Albania

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Maxim's Brave spelling -- Nov. 2009

This is something cool from a few months ago. (I just noticed that my settings for this Blogger site had mistakenly been changed so that everything I typed in wasautomatically tranliterated into Hindi. I was able to change it back. :) )

10 November 2008

I want to write something about Maxim and his current event that we saw on the computer today. He brought home an assignment today. He said, “I have homework and you have homework. You have to help me with this.”
“What is it?”
“I don’t know. It says Dear Parents blah, blah, blah.” He actually said, “blah, blah, blah.” I was afraid it was going to be something ridiculous. He brought his paper upstairs and showed it to me. It said that sometime in the next three days, we have to watch the news and pick out a current events story. We need to answer the basic questions—who, what, where, when, why, and how. I thought that it was a great idea. I told him that we didn’t have TV, but we could watch on the computer.
Three fourths of the available stories were about Obama’s transition. We heard about the impact children have had on the residents of the White House, and the impact the White House has had on children. The one that he chose to write about concerned that selection of a dog for Obama’s daughters. I am most excited by Maxim’s eagerness to write.

Where? North Amaeric, Uoyniti Stats, Shicogo
Who? The Oboma famly
When? 9 Novembr 2008
What? Adoqtingadod into the oboma famly
Why? (We’ll do this one tomorrow.)

Until now, he has been reluctant to use ‘brave’ spelling. He would refuse to write unless he knew how to spell something. I’ve been studying how kids need to simply write. The important thing is for them to get ideas on the paper, not for the format to be correct. I am thrilled by Maxim’s progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home