Iowa Martins in Albania

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Notary--an expensive joke.

            Yesterday, I needed to get my signature on a document notarized.   I looked on the internet to find some places that provide this service, and there were many.  I chose one nearby.  I entered the UPS Store to find Jack in comfortable jeans and a t-shirt.  I don’t mind people being comfortable, and I don’t think you have to wear a suit to have credibility, but Jack’s relaxed attitude and flippant demeanor did not engender trust and seriousness.  He did not have an air of responsibility about him. 

            “I need to get my signature notarized on this document.”  Jack was ready and willing as he handed me a pen.  I looked through the four pages and found the signature line.  I signed.  He immediately took out his little ink pad and stamp, applied the seal, signed and dated the paper. 

            As he was working, I asked what it takes to become a notary.

            “Well, you have to apply.”

            “Oh,” I said, “’cause I heard a couple years ago that all you had to do was pay some money.”

            “Yeah,” he smiled, “they’ve added some requirements. You have to take a test about the state and stuff.”

            “I test about the state,” I repeated, “what do you mean?”

            “I don’t know,” he answered curtly, obviously not interested in my questions.

            “Ahhh,” I said. 

            “$7.95,” he said.

            We finished our transaction and I added, “…but you took it?”

            “Ah, yeah,” he said with a smile, “I passed and I’m certified.

            I was not satisfied, but I turned to go.  Then I thought of something. “Well shouldn’t you have asked for my license or ID or something?”

            “Oh, I trust ya.  Yeah, I trust ya.”

            I went out the door.  A minute later, I thought, “How can he trust me?  He’s never seen me before!  If he trusts me, then he trusts everyone who walks in his shop.  And that means that his trust doesn’t mean a thing!”

            So I understand that the system of notarizing something is a complete farce.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home