Iowa Martins in Albania

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Piglets' Ears

I am shocked! Over the last few months, I have been downloading, for free from iTunes, The Best of YouTube. A new video comes across every couple of days that some group has decided is really funny or interesting. This morning, I saw the most recent clip and it’s something that I was fascinated by when I was 12. The title is “Piglets react to sounds.” These piglets are all sleeping happily among each other and when someone talks loudly, “Hello!” or “They tried to make me go to rehab,” the piglets ears would flop forward.
I discovered this little tidbit of life after I returned from the St. Louis zoo that I visited on a band trip in the 5th grade. At the zoo, I heard monkeys that would continuously shout, “Whoop! Whoop!” While I was cleaning the farrowing crates of the pigs, I was recreating the sound. I noticed that when I shouted, “Whoop!” the ears of all the sleeping piglets would fly forward once and immediately back a if someone was turning a switch. It was as if the piglets had batteries in their heads that made the ear jump to life for one, quick second. I started to write that the PIGLETS moved their ears, but that is not correct. The ears move by themselves. It is a knee-jerk (or ear-jerk) reaction. The pigs are completely unaware of the motion.
So why am I shocked? I’m shocked and saddened that I didn’t find a way to capitalize on this information before the world figured it out. I guess I’ve been lethargically sitting on the information for 30 years. Now it’s too late. The world knows. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people trying to find piglets so they can see this phenomenon for themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home